Photo of a flower from the beautiful bouquet that my sweet friend (thank you Susan!) brought last week. Now the bouquet is hanging on my living room wall to dry. I will think of her friendship each time I see it. Flowers are a great way to bless someone.
Simple, frugal ideas to make your home a beautiful place…
1. Light candles. Keep your eyes out for candles at a discount–off-season candles go on sale, and often you can find them at thrift stores, yard sales, etc. Keep a steady supply of candles. Few things add such warmth and beauty to a home. (By the way, don’t wait until company comes–bless your family!)
2. Purchase an occasional bunch of flowers from Wal-Mart. Sometimes they are only 3 or 4 dollars for a small bunch. Enjoy them in a vase for a few days…add a few drops of bleach to the water and they’ll stay fresh longer.
But the best thing about flowers is, when they start to die, take them out of the water, tie a ribbon around them, and hang them upside down, right on your wall! The dried version is just as beautiful, and sometimes lasts for years!
3. Play soft music…along with candles, it can really change the atmosphere of the home. And even if you only choose the time right before hubby arrives, it’s a great way to settle everyone down and bless your husband as he comes home.
4. Keep baskets handy for quick pick ups. We keep a basket at the top of the stairs for any “down-going” objects…a basket in every room would allow you to pick up (for unexpected guests, etc.) and at least give the appearance of a tidy house in about 5 minutes! Let everyone help put the items in their places later.
Personal note here…I am REALLY working on the balance between living in a home, keeping it tidy, and being respectful of guests, and being real.
In other words, I want to maintain a tidy house for the peace of my family, and I want to bless others with a tidy house when they come for a visit, BUT, we are a family with 8 children, some small, and we do LIVE in our house! I do not want to portray perfection; that could actually discourage guests instead of blessing them.
5. Sing out loud, smile, and laugh. This is probably the most beautifying element of a family…don’t get too busy to forget the joy of the Lord!!!!