Do you ever feel overwhelmed with the abortion rate in your country? Do you wonder what anyone can do? Feeling overwhelmed can be paralyzing. There is so much to do, and most of it seems impossible, so we do nothing at all. Here are some suggestions for things I believe most of us could do.
1. Purchase a pro-life car sticker and promote life while you drive! We are hoping to get one for our new car soon. I personally prefer stickers that depict women. We must appeal to and reach women, as they are the ones with the choice, and they bear the life-long consequences.
2. Write to a politician about your views. Let them know that people still care about this, even when it is not in the news.
3. Watch your words. I try to only ever say positive things about news of a pregnancy or birth, no matter what the age or circumstances of the person are. The truth is that God has created a new person. Although some circumstances are more difficult than others, our first response should be to rejoice and praise God for his gifts.
4. Read a book and be equipped to know and explain what you believe. Two that I recommend are Why Prolife? by Randy Alcorn (136 pages, Multnomah) and Answering the Call by John Ensor (150 pages, Focus on the Family).
5. Talk about pro-life issues. Many people are unaware of many abortions that are performed and the reasons for them. They are also often unaware of the development of the baby and the effects upon women. This is true even in our churches. You can help to spread information. I must add one caution, though, that it is possible to talk about it too much! More than one person has had to ask me to stop talking about it. Now I think I’ve erred too much on the other side, and rarely mention it. Get a balance!
6. Think carefully about birth control. Did you know that some birth control does not just prevent conception, but actually stops a tiny life from being implanted in the womb? I encourage people to read Randy Alcorn’s booklet Does the Birth Control Pill Cause Abortions?. I believe that we should always prefer to have a baby rather than do anything that would take a tiny life.
7. Give money to worthy organizations. One group I love is Choices of Life. Bruce Coleman is an evangelical Christian, and I know him to be a man who is gifted in taking the pro-life message into schools and networking with a wide variety of people.
8. Pray. God cares about the destruction of innocent lives. God cares about whether or not women are loved and supported, and whether they are informed honestly. Only God can change hearts so that people love children, whenever they come. It is a great idea to pray with our churches, as this also reminds others of the importance of this issue. I need to do better at praying to end abortion!
9. Show fetal models to friends who are interested. I have the lovely touch of life models and they are great to show women who are expecting.
10. Embrace the gift of children, whenever they come! My friend Karen at The Sower’s Corner is an example of this. Read her wonderful post and comments when she became pregnant at 46 . God sends us children in order to bless and build our families and to expand his church and build his kingdom on earth. Wow! What a blessing it is to be fruitful in this way.
Many of the resources I mention are available from Heritage House in the USA, and Choices of Life is an Australian distributor for them.
Do you have more ideas for ways we can be actively pro-life? Please share your ideas or things you’ve been doing in the comments section.